I Love This Job!
The latest Fortune magazine named Google the best place to work. I can't blame them. Here's a quick list of perks:
- Free shuttles with Wi-Fi to pick you up and drop you off at home
- Five (free) doctors onsite
- TGIF parties
- Free onsite washers and dryers (and free detergent)
- Sand volleyball courts
- Rock climbing walls
- Unlimited sick days
- Free annual ski trip
- $500 voucher for takeout food after having a child
- $2000 bonus for referring a new hire
- $5000 subsidy to buy a hybrid car
- Free snack stations
- Free onsite meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Onsite oil changes and car washers
- And, if you were there at the beginning, you might have gotten founder stock options and you might be a millionaire by now (like one guy who 'retired' at 30)
It's also nice to see my former employer, Marriott International, on the list.
Although they're not named, here's a list of Facebook perks:
- Complimentary catered breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Complimentary beverages and snacks
- Dry cleaning and laundry service onsite
- Free downtown parking permit
- Subsidized gym membership
- Catered Friday Happy Hours at the office
- $600/month housing subsidy if you live within one mile of the office
- Standard-issue 24" LCD monitors and your option of 15" Apple MacBook Pro or IBM ThinkPad
Not too shabby. In a world that competes for the brightest minds, such perks may become standard.
I can't say yet as to whether or not CoolPeopleCare will have such perks one day, but I'll gladly raise my glass to happy hour Fridays.