The seven things to remember are:
- Seeing the fruits of your labor
- If we don't feel appreciated at work, then we will want more money
- Hard work can make us feel proud to do it
- Work that helps others can be motivating
- And, work that helps others can make us follow rules
- Positive reinforcement increases performance
- Images that trigger positive emotions help with focus
So, if you're designing a workplace, a compensation structure, or a reward system, use this framework in order to maintain a high level of output. Patrick Lencioni echoes a lot of this in his book, The Advantage, which I think is worth a read for those in leadership or those hoping to create better organizational health.
Just remember: money doesn't always win.